Prevent Tooth Decay & Improve Your Dental Health
What you eat plays a huge role in having good oral health. Not only is maintaining a nutritious and healthy diet great for your overall health, but it supports your dental health in more ways than you may realize. Teeth are an important part of eating and drinking, as well as our appearance and confidence, so it’s crucial to watch what we eat and try to avoid the sugary foods that contribute to tooth decay.
The professional dental team at Twin Aspen Dental Center provides comprehensive dental services for the entire family in Parker, CO, and the surrounding areas. Our highly trained, caring staff is committed to helping you find solutions to improve your dental health in a professional, caring manner. From family dentistry to cosmetic dentistry services, we have the experience to address all your dental needs with the comfort you deserve. Below, we’ve outlined some of the best healthy snacks to eat to help maintain good oral hygiene, prevent tooth decay, and improve your dental health. Call us today to learn more or schedule an appointment!
Improve the Health of Your Teeth by Eating Healthy Snacks
There are several foods that are good for your teeth and overall dental health. We understand how enjoyable snacking can be, but it’s important to maintain a healthy balance between whole fruits and vegetables and sugary snacks. Try the following foods to maintain great dental health and prevent tooth decay:
- Cheese – Cheese is known to be a healthy snack for your teeth. According to a study, eating cheese can raise the pH levels in your mouth, which lowers the risk of tooth decay. Chewing cheese can also increase the saliva in your mouth, which is healthy for your teeth. If you do eat cheese, make sure you brush after to avoid it sticking to the surface of your teeth and causing cavities.
- Yogurt – Yogurt is a great on-the-go snack that’s high in calcium, protein, and probiotics. It’s important to look at the label on the back of the container to ensure the yogurt you’re buying isn’t high in sugar. Yogurt brands that market to children are especially high in sugar, but there are several brands that advertise as low-sugar, sugar-free, and include natural probiotics to promote good gut bacteria.
- Leafy Greens – Leafy greens are full of vitamins and minerals, low in calories, and are great for your overall and dental health. Kale, spinach, arugula, and other leafy greens are high in calcium, which strengthens your tooth’s enamel, and also contain folic acid, a type of vitamin that has several health benefits.
- Apples – While fruit is known for being high in natural sugar, it can also be high in fiber, which is great for your teeth. Apples might be sweet, but they stimulate your gums, are an excellent source of fiber, and hydrate your mouth. It’s important to remember eating fibrous foods doesn’t replace brushing or flossing, and it’s important to continue brushing after each meal.
- Carrots – Carrots are the perfect, healthy on-the-go snack. They’re crunchy, full of fiber and vitamin A, and can be prepared in several easy ways. You can eat them raw, toss them in a smoothie, or cook them with other tasty vegetables.
- Celery – Eating celery acts like a toothbrush, scraping food particles away and washing off bacteria due to it containing so much water. Additionally, celery is full of antioxidants that promote healthy gums, as well as vitamins A and C.
- Almonds – Almonds, along with several other nuts, are great for your dental health. They’re high in protein, a great source of calcium, and low in sugar. You can eat them by the handfuls or add them to a salad for a mid-day meal.
In addition to being mindful of the food you’re eating, it’s important to watch out for sugary beverages, sports drinks, and soda. We always recommend water because it contains no sugar and effectively quenches your thirst.
Healthy On-The-Go Snacks
The best snacks for your teeth are ones that are low in sugar, aren’t too acidic or sticky, stimulate saliva, and don’t stay in your mouth too long. When it comes to healthy on-the-go snacking, what are the healthiest and most convenient options? Our experts recommend:
- Carrots, celery, and apples
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Salads made with leafy greens
- Cheese, yogurt, and plain nuts
- Sugar-free boiled sweets
- Oatcakes with hummus or sugar-free peanut butter
More Tips for Healthy Diet Snacking
While it’s important to watch what you’re eating, it’s also good to keep in mind how you’re eating and drinking. There are several things you can do to help minimize the harm done to your teeth while snacking, including:
- Use a straw
- Don’t snack before bed
- Chew sugar-free gum
- Brush teeth regularly
- Floss daily
- Time your teeth-brushing
- Choose dairy
Call Twin Aspen Dental Center to Schedule an Appointment Today
Overall, what you eat and drink plays a huge role in your overall dental health and smile. Twin Aspen Dental Center is the region’s top choice for comprehensive dental care, from complete family dental care to cosmetic dentistry, emergency dental services, and much more. We invite your entire family to receive exceptional, affordable dental care right here in Parker, CO.
With individualized care for everyone, all your loved ones can receive premier treatment from the best dentist in the area. Contact us today to learn more about our family dental services or schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!